Best place to holiday in Portugal
We have chosen a selection of 5 villas from our full list of properties in Portugal. Find the perfect villa below:
Your Portugal villa holiday
With a villa holiday in Portugal you can enjoy the all the space and comfort space of your own private accommodation, with the freedom to explore the fantastic local beaches, Portugal’s beautiful countryside and its vibrant resorts.
Add even more indulgence to your villa holiday and enjoy a luxury villa stay in the Algarve or the Lisbon Coast. Enjoy the warm Portuguese sun as you dive into your villa’s private pool for a morning swim, sunbathe in your villa’s garden and dine al fresco from the peace and privacy of your own terrace.
Enjoy the option of self-catering in Portugal – there are local markets to explore and harbours to buy freshly caught fish and seafood, so you can serve up a feast to your friends and family at dinner.
There are a wealth of incredible villas to rent in Portugal, and many benefits to staying in a villa in this delightfully diverse and captivating destination - here’s why...
Located in southwest Europe, Portugal is a country with a long, diverse and fascinating history, with its cosmopolitan culture shaped by those who have settled in the country over its thousands of years of colonisation. You’ll notice these influences everywhere, from the food, architecture and even in the landscape of the towns and cities you visit.
Portugal is made up of five main regions, as well as the two islands of Madeira and Azores. Our villas are located right across Portugal, giving you the chance to lounge on the beautiful beaches of the Algarve, sip the famed local wine of Douro Valley or explore the emerald forests and the tropical landscapes of the island of Madeira.
When to go to Portugal
During your villa holiday you should expect to enjoy a Mediterranean climate, with warm summers and mild winters.
Between June and September is the best time to take advantage of the idyllic weather, with temperatures reaching up to 30°c as you wander along the golden beaches and unwind beside your villa's private pool.
Keen hikers will enjoy the country’s wonderful trails from October to March, when you’ll be able to take in the beautiful views of Portugal’s snow-capped mountains. Not only that, but the temperature in Portugal can still reach up to 18°c during the autumn and winter months, making it the perfect place to escape the cold back home.
In addition to the wonderful beaches and scenic landscape, Portugal has an endless list of things for you to see and do during your James Villa holiday. The Alto Douro wine region is a UNESCO World Heritage Site - a place where wine has been produced for well over 2, 000 years. Explore the nearby towns that have flourished in this region, watch and learn the process of wine making, explore the vineyards and terraces - and of course, try a tipple.
Another cultural highlight is the Palácio Nacional da Pena - a beautiful palace in the town of Sintra along the Lisbon Coast, nestled on a hilltop. With a pastel yellow, pink and red exterior this standout piece of architecture is sure to catch your eye and win your heart. The lavishly detailed stone carvings outside the building are complemented by the palace’s surrounding gardens - Pena Park - which includes exotic trees from around the world, ordered by a past king.
Not to be missed
- Sample the local cuisine. A great little afternoon treat is a freshly ground coffee and a Pastéis de Nata. These rich and sweet egg custard tarts are the perfect local delicacy for those of you with a sweet-tooth.
- For spectacular views of the city of Lisbon and beyond, ride the Elevador de Santa Justa - a gothic tower and piece of architectural history that connects the lower and upper levels of the city.
- If you’ve booked your villa holiday in Portugal for spring, then make sure you don’t miss the annual Flower Festival in Funchal in Madeira. People dress themselves in floral outfits, with hats made of yellow sunflowers and dresses decorated with pink roses.
- For a real Portuguese treat, spend a morning at the Feira de Barcelos market in Minho in the scenic Costa Verde. There you can buy freshly baked bread, local vegetables and fruit, as well as handcrafted pottery.
- Everyone knows the Algarve is great for beaches, but Praia de Albandeira is the perfect setting for those of you wanting to unwind. Tucked away in a rocky alcove, this beach is a little-known treat for those who find it.
Sometimes even the best of us need a little inspiration. Here are some recommendations from us to help you find your perfect holiday
Portugal reviews verified by
|out of 10 based on 1498 reviews|
Reviews and scores from the last 12 months.
Views and opinions in these reviews are solely of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of James Villa Holidays (JVH). JVH provides no assurances regarding the accuracy of the information and cannot accept liability for complaints, loss or damage resulting from the article. It does not form part of the contract made when a holiday is booked with JVH and the information provided is not intended to be a rider or replacement to the booking conditions. Reference to the service or product of a third party, is not an endorsement or recommendation and JVH accepts no liability as a result of complaints, loss or damage arising from their use.