Info of Brazil
Interesting Facts for KidsRio de Janeiro in Brazil
Here are some interesting Brazil Facts which were chosen and researched by kids especially for kids.
- Population: 201 million people live in Brazil (2013)
- Capital: Brasilia, with 2.8 million inhabitants is the country's fourth largest city. The largest city in Brazil is Sao Paolo with 11 million inhabitants.
- Name: Republica Federativa do Brasil, Federative Republic of Brazil
- Government: Democracy, Republic
- Language: Portuguese
- Literacy: More than 91% of the people can read and write.
- Religion: mainly Christians (Roman Catholics 65%, Protestants 22%)
- Currency: 1 Real=100 centavos
- History: The country was inhabited by mainly semi-nomadic tribes before the arrival of the colonialists. The land was claimed by Portuguese and settlers founded the colony in 1532. by the 17th centre sugar cane was the main export and the slave trade brought many African slaves to the country. The Brazilian gold rush attracted many fortune seekers to the country. Brazil declared independence from Portugal in 1822, this was officially recognised by the Portuguese only three years later! Brazil was ruled by various Brazilian Emperors until in 1889 it was finally declared a republic. Brazil has a female president since 2011, Dilma Rousseff.
Brazil Facts: Geography
Where is Brazil?
Brazil lies in South America, a flight from London/UK takes roughly 11.5 hours and from New York/USA a flight takes 9.5 hours.
Below see a map of Brazil with the neighbouring countries and you will find Brazil's capital city: Brasilia, just at the lower end of the map. Simply click on the + or - to zoom in or zoom out to see more cities, as this country is huge!
The Latin American country shares borders with all South American countries except Chile and Ecuador. The longest of the borders is shared with Bolivia and is 3, 400 km long.
Brazil Geo Superlatives
- Brazil is the world's fifth largest country and covers three time zones. The country has almost 7, 500km of coastline and thus many great beaches.
- The most famous landmark of Brazil is located in Rio de Janeiro. The Christ the Redeemer statue overlooks the city.
- About 60% of the world's rainforest is located in Brazil.
- In Brazil you will also find the world's second longest river, the Amazon. There are many other big rivers in Brazil, such as the Parana, the Negro River. The northern and western parts of Brazil are largely dominated by the Amazon Basin. In the South, you will find the Brazilian Highlands.
- However, the highest lying area of Brazil is in the North and called the Guiana highlands.
- Brazil's highest mountain is the 'Pico de Neblina' and is 2994 m high.
- The climate in Brazil is mostly tropical with a temperate climate in the Southern parts of the country.
Brazil Facts: Animals in BrazilToucan
Brazil is home to some fascinating mammals, such as armadillos, tapirs, jaguars and pumas.
The Amazon is home to many fish species, also the piranha.
Also the colourful toucans are live in Brazil.
Brazil Attractions for Kids
- Rio de Janeiro: Copacabana and Ipanema are great for beach holidays